Whether you’re running a leisure facility, restaurant or pub, office block or warehouse all your electrical items need to be PAT tested in order to comply with current legislation and ensure safety in the workplace.   Fire Crest Fire Protection’s qualified and experienced engineers carry out each PAT (portable appliance testing) test ; items tested include lamps, hairdryers, kettles, stereos, vacuum cleaners; in fact anything with an electrical socket that’s considered to be a portable appliance.   You can rest assured that Fire Crest Fire Protection’s qualified engineers follow the PAT testing regulations to ensure your premises complies with all current legislation. It’s one less thing for you to worry about.   Call 0800 092 4021 today for more information.

Please click here for more information about PAT testing

PAT Testing

In line with regular Electrical maintenance within a property or premises a regular visual check should be carried out by competent person, to ensure that electrical equipment and or cables are not damaged, these of course, would need to be resolved/rectified immediately, thus ensuring the safety of person’s using the equipment. You should not wait for a PAT test for these items to be identified as un-safe. Whilst visual checks are important, PAT Testing can detect issues that are not visible.

The vulnerable part of any portable equipment is often the cable/cord/lead or flex IE the supply to the equipment. The cable can deteriorate because of age and environmental factors, abuse and or misuse, a fail due to repeated flexing, or mechanical damage. Repeated or excessive flexing of the cable over a period of time can cause the conductor to fracture and the sheath to crack.

Employee’s may bring ‘unauthorised’ to work by employees (examples of this may include; electric heaters, kettles, coffee machines, cooling fans).  This should be controlled and monitored.

Lower risks may be from floor cleaners or kettles generally used in offices and hotels. This equipment may still be subject to intensive use resulting in wear and tear. This can lead to faults, this may result in a person receiving a shock, burn or in severe instances cause a fire.