was successfully added to your cart.

Residents urged not to ignore fire alarms after close-call in Falmouth

By July 22, 2013News

PEOPLE are being urged not to ignore fire alarms after a woman was rescued semi-conscious from a smoke-filled flat in Falmouth.

Firefighters had to break down the door as they could not raise the occupant and found her collapsed in the hallway and had to pull her out.

Twelve other occupants of the DCH (formerly Devon and Cornwall Housing) property Aberfal House in Arwenack Avenue had to be evacuated on Sunday evening.

Watch manager Stuart Williams said: “It could have potentially been really bad.

“The alarm was sounding in the block of flats and residents ignored it until about an hour later when someone could smell burning.

“I don’t think people realised what was going on, but my advice is, if you have an alarm sounding we advise you to check it out and call us.”

Two crews were sent to the flats at about 10.30pm.

For more information about this story please click here