was successfully added to your cart.

Holiday home owner fined after fire involving young family at Porthleven

By January 17, 2014News

A PORTHLEVEN holiday home, which caught fire while a young family were staying, did not have enough smoke alarms.

The family, which included three young children, smelt smoke after the fridge caught fire and escaped in time.

The fire service’s group manager Steve Halstead said: “Fortunately no one was injured – but if this fire had occurred during the night when the family were asleep, it is likely there would have been a loss of life.”

The owner of the home, Charles Brian Smith, of Roker Lane, Pudsey in West Yorkshire, pleaded guilty to breaching fire safety rules at Truro Magistrates Court last week.

He was fined £500 and ordered to pay £2,000 in costs.

The action was brought by Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service after crews were called to the holiday let in June 2012.

To read more please click here trivia questions